Tuesday 7 February 2012

Kelowna: home to the world's worst dog trainer.

I am absolutely horrified to discover a TV personality who is downright abusive lives in the same town as I do. The very idea that this man trains on the same soil as I take my dog to go play really disturbs me. How he "educates" people on how to be a pack leader yet he is nothing more than a domineering bully. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who I am talking about.


 Brad Pattison.


So if treats and positive reinforcement don't work and bullying does why is it my dog after ONE training session of loose lead walking with the clicker already showing vast improvement compared to the dogs who are being handled roughly? Could it be because he is a willing participant? By his own free will he made the choice to work with me and understands the criteria based on something as simple as marking desirable behaviour?

I am not an experienced dog trainer. I am just a young mom with a dog trying to figure this out... but it seems to be working.

I was harassed via facebook today for even mentioning to a new dog owner a different way to train. I was not rude but six women were trying to shove it down my throat you can't be positive all the time. It doesn't work. From my understanding if the dog is that distracted you either are working a dog beyond it's threshold or are not using something reinforcing enough.

*sigh*

Just haven't a different opinion and linking people to training tutorials got me told I was wrong. I am already seeing results though after two days. I have faith.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, that guy is disgusting.

    What's with the TV shows featuring bullies who are in no way actually training dogs, but temporarily terrifying them into submission?

    Whatever happened to Good Dog! featuring Stanley Coren. He was no amazing trainer either, but he was kind to dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just saying this to my boyfriend in the car. He was no miracle worker but at least he was attempting to work WITH a dog and not beat it.

    ReplyDelete