Saturday 11 February 2012

Oh the things we learn

Bandit has never known the verbal cue to down. Only the hand signal. I watched a kikopup video that really helped with teaching him a verbal cue from a hand signal. Instead of saying the verbal cue first then doing the hand signal I was doing the reverse. Which makes no sense if you want your dog to learn to take the verbal cue. I'm so proud of him. It may not seem like much to other people but I am so excited about all the little steps. Seeing him want to work with me brings such joy to my life.

Bandit is really teaching me how to communicate in a much more positive light and it's effecting all aspects of my life. I am becoming a better mother due to becoming a better dog owner. My communication is not only opening up with my dog but it's opening up with all the people. I am being present, attentive and fun and it's really paying off in how my relationship with my son is. I've always been a bit of a crunchy mom but this path I'm on in life is not just about having a better behaved dog. It's about learning to understand others.

Thank-you to my two favourite boys Briggs and Bandit for being the inspiration to open my mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment